In previous years, conventional schooling had restricted students to a brick and mortar setup. Hence this traditional educational format was limited to a select demographic of society particularly children of schooling age. However, as Australians embrace the use of new technologies in their everyday lives, the educational landscape down under has also been reinvented.
In only the last decade, the frequency of enrollment in distance education courses has increased. At the same time, it has allowed different sectors of society to pursue further studies without hesitation. The format primarily benefits people seeking higher education or those required to rake in continuing education units for professional development.
Demographics of students for education online courses
Online learning has widened the demographics of students who are able to study. Aside from college students, people in the workforce, homemakers, and even retirees can look forward to earning a degree online.
Nowadays, companies require their employees to keep abreast with the latest technology and trends in their particular area of specialization. Rather than enroll at the local university, professionals have the option and convenience to sign up for a degree program provided by reputable distance education providers.
Stay-at-home moms can also take up short courses to enhance their hobbies or to learn something new. Retirees and silvers who set aside their lifelong passions in order to earn a living or raise a family can partake of the latest technology as well.
|Online Education in Australia: Stockvault|
Benefits of online courses in Australia
Although there continues to be some reluctance among potential enrollees, the following list outlines the advantages brought on by distance education:
· 1) Online learning is a time saver. Online courses offer fixed number of hours that a student can work around his or her daily or weekly schedule. In contrast to taking up a class at campus, students need not waste time traveling from point A to point B just to get to class on time.
· 2) It limits student’s expenses to the essentials. Campus life and traveling to and from the university grounds can be expensive. Learning online limits incidentals as references are also part of the package.
· 3) Earning a diploma is within reach. Previously, the only way to earn a diploma was through attendance at a brick and mortar institution. Reputable distance education providers offer diploma and certificate courses that are accredited and recognized by industries.
· 4) Online learning offers flexibility and accessibility. Students who work as fulltime employees or mothers who have idle time while their kids are at school can easily fit an online class into their busy schedule. Unlike regular classes, there is no set time to log in for students. Hence, a mother can sign in after dropping her kids off at school or an employee can check lessons during lunch break at work.
· 5) Distance learning fosters independence and accountability. In traditional classrooms, teachers typically prod students to study and complete assigned tasks. In contrast, there is less interaction in an online classroom setting. However, this does not mean that students can afford to drag their heels. A student must be responsible for his or her own development as an assigned tutor for each course offering monitors output based on the lessons.
· 6) It encourages the use of technology. Students are able to expand their technical knowledge, as they are able to use internet resources in connection with their studies. This practice also enhances their use of software programs that make learning exciting.
· 7) Online learning facilitates the practical application of knowledge. As a student learns, he or she is able to put into practice what they have learned in class immediately.
Online learning is a worthwhile and time-effective activity that can benefit any individual looking to gain more knowledge and improve oneself. An individual may sign up for an online course and access their lessons anywhere they may be and at any time, provided they have access to the Internet.
Moreover, unlike earlier online learning programs, today’s distance education providers offer email interaction with the competent tutors assigned to each course offering. The communication can help enhance the learning experience by making it possible for students to ask questions related to the lessons and expect a reply within a twenty-four period.
By: May Ann