05 December 2013
What Do First Year Computer Science Majors Learn?
Do you love to play on your smartphone? Do you enjoy social media and new forms of technology? If so, you may want to consider becoming a computer science major. As a computer science major, you will learn a number of skills that can help you to land a job in Silicon Valley or with other top-paying employers. If you're unsure about what computer science students do, below is a review of some of the material first year majors will learn.
Take the introductory course offered by your university to find out if you want to pursue a computer science degree. Most universities will teach students basic computer programming skills in their introductory courses. These skills allow you to create databases and develop web applications.
Your First Year
After taking the right computer programming, mathematics, and science courses, you will know how to access technical resources, document programs, understand web-based information, evaluate the quality of programming, understand how apps are developed, and possibly how to build your own app. The goal for computer science majors is to learn how to solve problems by using technology. While students will not be able to do everything during their first year, they will learn a great deal. This will help them get ready for subsequent years where they build websites, design apps, and program new software. Just about every business will need to hire a computer science major at some point, and those pursuing this field will have a bevy of career options to choose from.
Skills You Need
While some people take a course in high school to learn about computer science, the courses held at universities are different. You may have a slight advantage if you take a high school course, as most students come in with relatively little experience. You will need to have excellent problem-solving skills, an ability to work in a team, and strong communication skills. You need to rely on other people to help with coding and other things, meaning that you must be able to work well with others.
Once you sign up for a course in computer science, you need to prepare yourself for a few of the things you will encounter. Some people like to work alone on their projects. When you are school, you will need to work as a team for the most part, and after graduation, you can choose to work on your own if you want, where you don't have to work with other programmers.
To complete a degree in computer science, you not only need to have a passion for programming and computers, but you should also be prepared to take a lot of math courses. Sitting in class and learning from lectures can help, but one of the best things you can do is acquire some hands-on experience in the field. Look for internships and other opportunities so you can advance your skills and become marketable to employers after graduation.
Jared Franklin writes on computer science, software, gadgets, gadget accessories such as the kensington ipad keyboard case, gizmos, the tech business and other assorted topics.
03 December 2013
The world of business today is moving with such rapidity that multiple industries are constantly taking innovative strategies to score high in terms of work efficiency. One such efficient strategy that companies adopt out of necessity for better productivity is hiring Human Resource managers.
Administering the overall strategy of company assets is one of the key responsibilities of an HR manager. Right from training employees, controlling employee costs to bringing new hires from abroad, a human resource manager possesses the ability to identify new efficient ways that can meet his/her organization goals. Moreover, the Bureau for Labor Statistics has predicted that the demand for hiring HR professionals in top-notch organizations will go high by 22% by the year 2018.
Well, reality says that justifying the role of a human resource manager is not a child’s play. If you really want to ensure success in this profession, you need to keep a few things in mind. So, here are 5 tips that will help you become an efficient Human Resource manager:
1. Strengthen your business knowledge – A business organisation is bound to face challenging times at anytime of the year. So, if you can gather extensive knowledge in business, it will be easier for you to enhance your contribution to your partners. In fact, you will acquire a thorough understanding of your business which in turn would help you meet the organisational goals.
2. Develop your networks through social media – If you want to succeed as a human resource professional, try expanding your network with social media as much as possible. In fact, it would be easier for an HR manager to identify the most talented candidates to be hired for the organization. Over the years, social networking sites like LinkedIn and Facebook have brought exceptional results in enhancing one’s professional network. So, an HR professional can simply create a profile and keep networking regularly.
3. Communicate with your employees – To become a successful human resource manager, what is important is possessing communication skills. It’s only through communication that HR mangers will be able to identify the values and objectives of their organisation. In fact, this is counted among one of their key responsibilities in managing an organization.
4. Improve your skills & grow your thinking – While working in an organisation, HR managers will have to work in such a manner that they will be distinguished as the real strategic partners for their concerned employers. In an organization, certain decisions are solely taken based on the ideas and opinions of a human resource manager. Therefore, possessing high thinking abilities is necessary for HR managers who would then only remain in their employers’ good books.
5. Gather necessary knowledge in HR management – Without obtaining proper knowledge in HR management, it would not be easy for you to justify the above mentioned points. So, what you need to do is enroll in a business management course with a specialization in human resource. Graduates usually opt for MBA in HR management with the intention to later qualify for managerial positions, while working professionals enroll in online courses. In fact, the one who has an online degree in HR management usually remains exposed to high career prospects among potential employers.
So, if you have always thought of serving an esteemed position in a top-notch business house, just follow these 5 steps and you are sure to succeed as a human resource manager. Good luck!!
The author Jan Felton is an educationist as well as a professional blogger who writes blogs and articles on various topics related to education.
SAP is a technology that is high on demand and has helped professionals belonging to any sector or industry to shape up their career and move to the higher positions. Therefore, I will not be wrong if I say that it is one of the careers where more and more job options are available.
What is SAP?
SAP stands for Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing, which was developed by five German engineers in 1972. You can understand the popularity of SAP by the fact that out of 10, 9 Fortune 500 corporations are extensively using SAP.
SAP has become an important part of the ERP market and this is the reason why the demand for SAP consultants has gone up considerably. SAP has "franchised" function implementation and maintenance of customer facilities. To ensure the quality of this model, SAP establishes approvals of both consulting firms and professionals. It certifies professionals in each of their specialties, and business consulting projects according to their scores and the percentage of the professionals who are certified. In short, to enter the SAP job market through the front door, the candidate must be certified in one of the SAP specialties.
SAP Certification Programs
Some of the most popular SAP certification programs are:
· SAP Business One
· SAP Customer Relationship Management (SAP CRM)
· SAP Enterprise Resource Planning (SAP ERP)
· SAP Industry Solutions
· SAP Product Lifecycle Management – PLM
· SAP Solution Manager
· SAP Supply Chain Management – SCM
To get started in the world SAP consultant, there are two options when it comes to take up SAP courses:
· Get trained in a module, which is perhaps the closest to your academic knowledge and certifies you for a job in any consultancy. You can get started in the early years as you grow up as a SAP consultant. After this period, and depending on the opportunities of the projects in which you are already working, you can expand your knowledge in some other related module. With additional training, such as project management, you could reach senior levels where you will be given more responsibilities.
· Develop a more comprehensive training of the SAP professional world. Learn the core modules that make up the "core" of any company, get certified in the module that is also the "core" of the SAP solution, and know the methodology of SAP projects, which has important specificities compared to traditional IT project methodology. Finally gain some experience in the implementation of SAP solutions with the Business Blueprint methodology before starting the journey in the labor market.
The first option can develop while being in the academia or in the SAP itself. The second responds to a graduate or master in SAP Consulting, which is usually taught by any institute specializing in the field of Project Management. This option requires little investment and return is short, but has very limited chances of promotion with medium and little future projection.
Obviously, the second option gives you many more opportunities in the labor market and helps you to qualify for higher responsibilities. It is a commitment to ROI in the medium term but much higher profitability for the assessment of the profile in the labor market. The output profile is junior / senior experienced allowing very rapid progression to senior positions.
By gaining SAP certification, you can be assured of a whole slew of opportunities even during the economic crisis. You can get started as an employee or as a SAP consultant. In today's cutthroat competition, those who hold the SAP certification, certainly have an added advantage over their peers.
Author Bio: A professional writer, Rashmi Karan writes for the leading education portals for the higher education aspirants. Contact her to seek suggestions about the higher education queries. Rashmi regularly contributes her ideas about different educational information such as retail courses, animation courses, various IT institutes like Aptech, Arena, NIIT and many more.
28 November 2013
Do you know that online certificate programmes are gaining immense popularity owing to the rising demand of skilled professionals in top-notch organisations? Since employers are now looking for candidates possessing time management skills as well as the ability to work independently, pursuing online courses has emerged to be a priority for new age learners.
Supporting this viewpoint, the associate dean of academics of Northwestern University, Joel Shapiro said that online certificates are currently proving valuable in the world of education. Online certificates are “part of the unbundling of education that is happening now”, he said.
Shapiro further said that although people have been talking more about the Massive Open Online Courses, certificates obtained through online education are also an integral part of this new learning trend. In fact, students who proceed to enrol in online courses usually do not have stringent entry qualifications and this helps one to easily enrol in an online course under a recognised university from any corner of the world.
Jim Fong who is the director of the Center for Research and Consulting said that a good number of individuals today have been found to make use of their certificate course work towards earning a master’s degree. In fact, today’s university deans say that online courses can help students to:
- -Enhance their knowledge
- -Master a specific skill
- -Build advanced industry practices
- -Meet requirements for a graduation programme
New learning experiences for online students
The temporary dean of Metropolitan College, Tanya Zlateva, said that it would be best if community colleges can provide training for online courses. This would instead be “a quicker fix for the changing workforce”. On the other hand, MOOCs have attained global popularity and has consequently raised awareness of online courses. The amazing combination of graphics, music and movies is making online course pursuers gather rich learning experiences unlike what can never be achieved in brick and mortar classrooms.
Apart from these, what has been found is that new age learners are getting too keen to know about the key benefits of pursuing a course online.
So, here are 4 big benefits that are sure to make you a successful online learner. Have a look:
1. Managing time & money – Online courses are designed in such a manner that one can sustain equilibrium between his/her work and study hours. In fact, online learning providers not only give students the opportunity to take their own pace in completing the course curriculum but online learners also enjoy the liberty to study from anywhere they wish. As a result, they save both time and money.
2. Learning unique ways to learn – What’s best about studying online is that it doesn’t typically involve books. Instead, online students grab the opportunity to make use of new learning tools, gadgets and software applications that help them learn with more pleasure. Besides, they keep interacting with their instructors and campus students through online discussion forums which rather help in sharpening their communication skills.
3. Thinking critically and developing interest – One of the biggest reasons behind the global popularity of online courses is that they are created with the intention to make students think critically. This is why online learners develop interests in preparing their lessons and even remember them without difficulty.
4. Staying energised and motivated – To become an efficient online learner, you must be self-disciplined. In fact, this would surely help you remain motivated towards your lessons. Individuals after returning home from long hours of work will not find it monotonous to attend online lectures through pre-recorded videos provided by their online learning institution. Remember, an online learner can never succeed without having self-dedication.
So, if you have plans to complete higher studies, whereas you are working for long hours, there is nothing to worry. Just look for an accredited university offering online courses, explore the website of your concerned institution to the fullest, research well on their course offerings as well as fee structures, and then proceed to enrol in your desired course.
Well, good news is that employers are accepting accredited online university degrees and therefore you can proceed with confidence to complete your higher studies online. All the best!!
The author Emily Parker not only calls herself an educationist but she also takes pleasure in writing blogs and articles on various topics in regard to education. In one of her articles, she has focused on how online education has achieved worldwide importance and why employers are accepting online certificates. To know more, you can always connect with her through social networking platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
26 November 2013
The United Arab Emirates boasts many companies that are par excellence when it comes to good HR practices and employee satisfaction. Some of these companies even outdo certain global brands established in the emirates. The following is a list of the most popular UAE-based companies that are ranked highly for exemplary employee management and engagement measures.
· THE One – This organization is a furniture retailer brand. Its key objective is to make the world a better place. THE One was ranked as the best local employer in UAE's 2013 list of Top 4 Places to Work. It has also been voted as one of the top 4 Companies for both young ‘Millennial’ workers and Women. The company was established in 1996 in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Today, it has 16 theatres in about 7 countries across Middle East. Its total headcount crosses 650, of which the number of UAE employees is around 363. The firm is among the favorite employers because of its involvement in monthly birthday parties and career development efforts.
· SHUAA Capital – SHUAA Capital is a financial services provider company. Set up in Dubai in 1979, this entity has operations all across the UAE and Saudi Arabia. It is a public shareholding company controlled by Central Bank of the United Arab Emirates. With a listing on the Dubai Financial Market, SHUAA flaunts a market capitalization of AED841 million or US$229 million. The focus of the company lies on four primary areas – Investment Banking, Asset Management, Credit and Capital Markets. SHUAA’s workforce consists of leading professionals from the banking industry. The employees benefit from competitive salaries and bonuses and a phased development program that prepares them to take on additional responsibility. There is a flexible working culture, external remuneration benchmarking, rewards for innovations and new ideas and also regular feedback on the professionals’ career development. Currently, there are about 205 UAE staff members in this company.
· Zayed University – Founded in 1998, this is the latest institute among the three government-sponsored higher education colleges in the UAE. It has been after the UAE’s honorable founder and first president, Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. The University is the reason behind the creation of many jobs in UAE. As an employer, it offers various welfares, like the recently launched reward program with platinum rule of recognizing people the way they want to be addressed. It aims to energize and engage the staff while promoting a culture of gratitude. The emphasis lies on diversity and respect that is reflected through high retention rates, a high female staff count and also a large number of international employees. The headcount of UAE employees is about 727.
- Dulsco – This is a Dubai-based labor supply company that was set up in 1935. It offers human resources in UAE and encourages a transparent work culture. There is a major emphasis on effective and efficient internal communications while also giving importance to individual initiatives along with team work. Dulsco conducts activities each month and currently offers employment to nearly 6000 UAE professionals.
- Bayt – Dubai-based Bayt is a privately held online job board company. It has been ranked as the 9th best organization to work for in the emirates. UAE nationals account for 213 employees from the company’s overall strength of employees. The advantages for the staff include a modern open-plan office, blog and intranet along with monthly performance appraisals. There is also a sound system in cafeteria, a library, a communal bulletin board, an online Love Touch Wall, a Thoughts Mirror and monthly awards for star performers.
Those jobseekers on a mission to find themselves a lucrative job in UAE can explore the employment opportunities in these popular companies. Rest assured you will benefit from job satisfaction and career growth.
Author bio: A writer by profession, Devika Arora is currently writing on the extensive realm of employment in UAE. She has written several articles and posts for recruitment in the gulf countries. The above article discusses about the most famous employers in the UAE.